Ânia Marcos
Ânia Marcos

On Setting Your Goals

Every week I ask the (incredibly amazing) art community at The Oatley Academy what their one goal for the week is. I also share mine.

Every week I completed my goal, until one day…

…(you guessed it) I failed.

I worked on a huge color script in order to study color. Every week I gave myself a minimum of frames I had to complete to call my goal completed.

That week I didn’t.

I was *so close* to finishing, that I just said “This week I’ll finish my color script!”.

…see what I did wrong?

Even though I knew I had data to prove I could do a minimum of 5 frames per week, data didn’t matter.

I failed to understand how many frames I was missing. I didn’t give myself a number to follow through. And then I fell flat on my face.

It’s not as much about how many there were missing, as it was about what specific goal I set for myself.

It’s much easier to do push ups if you know how many you’re doing.

Be specific.

You’re doing yourself a favor if you set your goals right from the beginning. Don’t make room for excuses.

What is your one goal for this week?

8 Comments

1. Mari - 4 months ago

Thanks for always taking the time to ask about our goals, Ânia! 😀 I noticed I’ve been setting more specific and achievable goals since I started seeing your posts (I still try to do all the things now and then though…), and they’re always so sweet and encouraging! <3

• aniamarcos - 4 months ago

Thank you so much, Mari! Warms my heart to see that I’m able to help in any way 🙂 You’re wonderful <3

2. Tracy Strong - 4 months ago

Your weekly goals are 100% the reason my youtube channel exists!
    Since I started I’ve been contacted by a tonne of baby animators who thanked me for sharing my knowledge, a few producers and supervisors who wanted to chat about some of my workflow ideas, and I’ve even been offered a teaching job.
    Those posts may seem like a little thing, just a couple lines of text, but they really make a huge difference. I love seeing them. It’s like a digital kick-in-the-pants.
    and I love reading about everyone’s goals, their wins and their not so wins, but the stubbornness to get it done the next time.

You are awesome and super inspirational!

• aniamarcos - 3 months ago

Thank you, Tracy!!! You’re a huge inspiration as well – you’ve been working so hard on those videos, I’m so proud of you! So glad I’m able to help a little <3 <3 Thanks for making my day 😀

3. Amanda G - 3 months ago

You are so right! I love when you ask us about our weekly goals and wins. I get so inspired by seeing what everyone in the group is accomplishing (especially YOU). It has been difficult to decide on a very specific goal because sometimes I want to do too much. For some reason (especially after I drink coffee) I feel superhuman and believe I can do a million things in one week. After setting and sticking to daily practice goals, it is getting easier to see what I am actually capable of. The process is making me proud of what I can do instead of worrying about what I can’t. I appreciate your examples and your consistent positive influence BIG TIME. <3

• aniamarcos - 3 months ago

Thank you, Amanda – that’s really kind of you to say!! <3

I LOVE how you put it - " The process is making me proud of what I can do instead of worrying about what I can’t." - that is exactly how I want you guys to think 🙂 We can always do *something* so yeah! Power on 😀

You're amazing!

4. Mandy Frank - 2 months ago

I read that it makes sense to keep numbers like these low. So low that you always reach your goal easily. The idea is that once you got started it’s easy to do more. But you definatley feel good ’cause you reached your goal and often even more than that! Be specific, but don’t push youself too hard, instead make it easy for you to do more than you planned. I like the idea

• aniamarcos - 2 months ago