Ânia Marcos
Ânia Marcos

It’s OK To Fail…

…it’s all part of the process.

How else are you supposed to know how to do it?

If big is big because we know what small looks like, then doesn’t it make sense that we have to go through multiple failed attempts in order to understand what is correct?

Social media makes it look like everyone has it all figured out. Truth is, almost no one does.

I fail all the time. I fail at home, at work, when on vacation… All the time. And of course I feel bad about it!

But let’s try and see it like this:

Last week I hurt my leg while trying to jump onto a box at the gym. Today I know if I look down instead of up I’m probably going to miss the mark again. So now, I don’t look down.

Progress.

I’ve been trying to figure out what my next book is going to be about for the past 2 years. I kept on failing. I thought I’d never have an idea worth pursuing. “I’m a failure. I’ll never make it. Who even cares about this?”

Then something magical happened: I let go of guilt. Even if it was just for a brief moment…

…I let myself just relax and think about what was not working. I embraced failure.

The result? This past weekend I had not one, but TWO story ideas I’m happy with.

Progress.

Makes sense?

Failing doesn’t mean you suck. Failing means you’re actually doing something.

Failing is progress. Embrace it and move forward.

9 Comments

1. John - 2 months ago

great observations as always. I’ve found that you also have to strengthen those “letting go of guilt” muscles/neuropathways and the only way to do that is to risk and fail more. Thanks for the reminder…i was already starting to let this fade and I didn’t realize it.

• aniamarcos - 2 months ago

Thank you so much, John! And yes, you’re absolutely right. Letting go of guilt is extremely hard and I think it’s not something you just “get”… It requires multiple attempts. It’s a constant struggle for me – almost like training your lungs so you can hold longer underwater. 🙂 Best of luck for you and your projects. We can do them! <3

2. Micsy Vargas - 2 months ago

I like the metaphorical way that you talk about fail and how to feel about it, how to embrace it and how to keep going; because the way you talk about give me the opportunity to think in the different ways we used to fail not only at the gym. And at the end, you give the positive side of fail.

• aniamarcos - 2 months ago

Thanks, Micsy! Really glad that my metaphors are connecting with you <3 That's precisely why I'm posting them!

Did you know that I wasn't thinking about starting a blog until someone pointed out in a conversation that these metaphors were helpful? I thought they were just silly, and this would accomplish nothing. Now I'm making posts every Fridays 😀

Thank you!

• Micsy Vargas - 2 months ago

I think, you are doing a very good work with your blog!!! 😀

• aniamarcos - 2 months ago

awww, thank you!!

3. Marta - 2 days ago

My goal for 2018 is failing as much as I can <3
    Thank you for your words and positivity as always, Ania!

• Marta - 2 days ago

(I intended to write this on the “Are you challenging yourself” post but forgot I clicked on this one…) Well, starting to fail a lot before 2018 YASSSSS! :DDDD

• aniamarcos - 2 days ago

Glad to help, Marta – and THANK YOU for your message 😀 <3
      And LOL, your second comment is hilarious!! xD

There's a lot of growth in failure. Can't wait to see what you do in this coming year! 🙂